View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Sea Fishing - North West Coast 

Post Sea Fishing - North West Coast
I'm a complete novice sea angler and need some help, I'd very much like to go and do some sea fishing but don't really know what I'm doing, I was wondering if there's anyone out there that would like to meet up some time to help me out, the problem is the injuries I picked up in the army make life a little difficult for me, so access to some areas might be a problem, also my mate who's also an ex-soldier with injuries would like to come too. So anyone who wants to help out a couple of knackered old squadies learn how to set up for sea fishing, please get in touch, we have rods and reels it's just the setting up of rigs, lures and bait that we need advice with, and suggestions for some good locations too (Possibly where you can camp) would be much appreciated).

Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:59 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: Sea Fishing - North West Coast
TomBrown (Graham) of these parts likes his fishing! Sure there are a few others too but graham owned a fishery so I reckon he must know a bit!

Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:34 pm

Post Re: Sea Fishing - North West Coast
It's a long time since I've done any sea fishing :) Do you live near the coast?? If so your 1st port of call should be your local "Tackle Shop" usually a mine of information. Due to your access limitations I would look to fish from a harbour wall or piers..... Beach fishing is good, but you do need to be able to cast a 5oz lead a fair distance (180-240yrds) to get to where the fish are - this is an art in itself. The good thing about sea fishing is that the end tackle rigs are fairly simple and straight forward - just google paternoster rigs and should give you an idea. As far as baits are concerned, you cannot beat Lug or rag worms easy to hook and will stay on the hook for a fair time.... down side is they aint cheap. Another issue is knots - most sea lines are fairley hefty so good knots are important the blood and grinner knots are the most used :) :) hope that helps a little.. any questions please ask :)

Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]